PS5 and PS4 consoles will receive a new system software update today. On the official PlayStation Blog, Sony shared the details of what the latest firmware will bring with it.
- The ability to create or join public and private Parties on PS5 and PS4 will be added;
- The Game Base UI and trophy cards will be updated, as well as new accessibility features on PS5, such as mono headphone audio output;
- PS5 users with accounts registered in the US or UK will be able to test a preview of the voice commands feature, which will allow you to find and open games, applications and settings, as well as control media playback using your voice in English;
- The PS App mobile app will get a new dark mode, the ability to create or join public and private Parties, and an updated Game Base UI for easier access to Friends, Parties, and messaging.
- Pro Tips cards will be added to the control center on PS5, where users can learn more about applying game presets on the console, pinning videos and apps to the screen while playing, or sharing the screen with friends;
Sony has also confirmed that the PlayStation 5 will be getting the highly anticipated Variable Refresh Rate (VRR ) feature in the coming months.
The technology will dynamically synchronize the display refresh rate with the console on compatible monitors and TVs with HDMI 2.1, which will minimize or eliminate problems with framing and screen tearing .
The company notes that previously released games can be optimized for VRR with a patch, and in future releases, developers will be able to add support for the feature immediately. In addition, there will be an option in the PS5 settings to enable automatic VRR for those games that do not support it .