Kali Linux is a Linux distribution specially configured for cybersecurity. It includes a lot of customization to perform penetration testing. It is an open source operating system that is generally used to detect and understand security vulnerabilities.
Kali Linux is based on the Debian Linux distribution. Recommended to almost anyone interested in cybersecurity. Its biggest plus is that it enables easy disabling of network services. In this way, it can be used successfully in many security measures, including penetration testing.
What is Kali Linux?
Kali Linux is an operating system primarily geared towards information security. It is a Debian-based Linux distribution and comes pre-installed with all the tools needed. It is developed by a highly reputable information security company called Offensive Security.
- Kali Linux comes with different penetration testing tools. The most well-known are Wireshark, Crunch, Aircrack-ng and Nmap.
- Kali Linux has multilingual support. In this way, it offers users the opportunity to use the operating system in their own local language.
- Access to the kernel codes of the Kali Linux operating system is restricted. Kernel codes can only be accessed by those involved in the development of the operating system.
- Kali Linux is a free operating system. You do not need to pay a fee to benefit from the possibilities of the operating system.
- Kali Linux can be used on a wide variety of ARM devices. The repository resources for ARM are already integrated into the main version. For ARM devices, updates are rolled out without a hitch.
Kali Linux always manages to be popular in line with the opportunities it offers to information security experts. It is an operating system that will cross paths for anyone interested in ethical hacking. Having cross-platform support increases its usability.
How to install Kali Linux?
As mentioned, you can even use an ARM-based device to use Kali Linux. If you want to install Kali Linux, you can use all the methods used during the installation of other operating systems. These methods include virtualization solutions.
- USB Usage: You can transfer Kali Linux operating system to USB. You can use a USB stick with a minimum of 8 GB for this. You have a chance to convert the USB stick to the operating system itself. However, doing so requires additional configurations.
- Hard Disk Usage: It is the most known method to install Kali Linux operating system. You can choose SSD or HDD to install. When Kali Linux is installed on a disk, it can cause permanent edits to the disk.
- Virtualization Method: Kali Linux can be installed in a virtual machine. The hardware requirements for this are different from each other. Thanks to a virtualization program that you will install on the Windows operating system, you can make a separate place for Kali Linux.
- Dual Boot Method: If you do not want the Kali Linux operating system to destroy the data of the current operating system, you can use the dual boot method. Thus, you can have both Windows and Kali Linux operating systems installed at the same time.
What are the most important tools that come with Kali Linux?
One of the most important aspects of Kali Linux is that it comes with tools that can support ethical hacking. Even if the tools it supports are many, the ones that are generally used and the important ones are clear. Once you start using Kali Linux, you should take advantage of these tools.
- Aircrack-ng: Aircrack-ng is a tool directly related to WiFi network security. It has features such as packet monitoring, managing attacks, and performing various tests on drivers. In this tool, you have to do all the operations via the command line.
- THC Hydra: THC Hydra allows you to perform attacks against many different protocols. There are many different protocols you can target, including FTP, HTTP, and HTTPs. It is possible to log into wireless networks using this tool.
- Nmap: Nmap is used for network identification and security audits. It provides access to host information on the network using IP packets. The information it accesses includes sensitive information such as the operating system, packet filters, and firewalls.
- WireShark: WireShark is a packet analysis tool. It allows you to see all the activities of a network down to the last detail. Thanks to this very popular tool, you can create special reports and benefit from different alerts.
Kali Linux is an operating system with many different advantages. It is among the indispensables in the field of information security. Since it is specially structured in many subjects, including penetration tests, the trainings are advanced through it.